Well we had another successful conference attended by 27 members. Thank you to all who came along, to the speakers and the hotel who made the event such a success. The talks were very informative, the venue was great and the food was smashing! We had information leaflets (Vasculitis Foundation) on the individual diseases, information booklets on benefits, and services for carers, free samples of Sinus Rinse Starter kits from Neil Med, an information stand on research in Ireland (manned by Valerie Logan), and Christmas cards (some kindly donated by Vasculitis UK) and calendars for sale. We also had a short survey for people to fill in to give an indication of how long before getting a firm diagnosis and how many GP/Consultant/Healthcare Professional visits did it take. This is to provide firm data to support our bid for Specialised clinics. This will be rolled out to all members in the near future.
We had a good discussion this morning about where VIA is going. We decided to do several things
- Devise a short brochure to leave in GP surgeries, Clinics and Consultant offices. These should be distributed by members in the area and topped up regularly
- Seek funding/grants for this, possibly pharmaceutical companies.
- Raise awareness by using the media, giving our stories, publicising meetings and fundraising events, highlighting need for regional specialised clinics to ensure early diagnosis and prompt appropriate intervention when needed to prevent organ damage.
- Local Hospital information days, displaying our banner and giving information about Vasculitis in hospital lobbys. These will be manned by local members. (We did joke about our banner becoming like the Olympic torch being passed from county to county!)
- Raise awareness amongst GPs and Specialist […]